Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Called Out!


Maybe you've seen Vi Hart's cool video about SpongeBob's house. Go watch it, I'll wait...


So, I drew this, and sent Vi an email:

Hi Vi,

OK, I guess the jig is up. It only took 14 years, 8 months, and about 16 days since I designed SpongeBob's house before I was called out on its fraudulence. And, to be honest with you, I'm tired of living a lie. It's time to come clean and make some changes for the better.

So, in the interest of truth and justice, I've made some slight alterations to the design (see attachment). Also, I've attempted to ferret out a few interesting proportions and relationships that have existed in the geometry of the design since the beginning. The one obvious correction that I've made is to the angles of ascension of the clockwise and counterclockwise spirals. You will find that they now follow their proper, naturalistic course. Also, notice that the third, implied spiral formed by the intersections of these spirals is now also correct.

Throughout the course of the show, the number of rivets on the windows has varied between 5 and 6, so I've standardized it to 5 (see design notes for explanation). And, the number of rivets on the doorframe fluctuates wildly. So, I've standardized that number to 13 (see notes).

Anyway, keep up the good work! Come by for a tour of the studio the next time you find yourself in Burbank.

-Kenny P.

P.S. I love your videos, and, you just happened to have posted the SpongeBob video on my birthday. Synchronicity!


Oh, and I forgot to point out that I laid the design out on a golden rectangle! Oops.

32 comments:

Sean Gantka said...

Kenny - you are my hero.

honky_d said...

Bravo!

Alex Deligiannis said...

Dude... awesome.

Benjamin said...

I was sent here via @vihartvihart.
This, all of it, is why I love the internet.

The Puoci Girls said...

I will repeat, You are awesome.

the octopi said...

100% epic :).

fck said...

This is incredible. Perfect!

Chris said...

That's pretty awesome. Note, shouldn't the leaves at the top also follow a similar rule and thus not be symmetrical in the way they are here?

mathmom said...

This is one of the most awesome things I've seen in a long time :)

DrPercivalRoy said...

Looks nice, also looks like a variant of a splicer from Bioshock; Who lives in a nightmare under the sea...

kissa said...

*lol* so cool

berinder said...

You are as epic as Vi.

Anonymous said...

Being in the Engineering world I have wanted to point this out for quite some time. But knowing Kenny P for an even longer time...this is just how Kenny P sees the world. This is cool stuff.
--Sid.

Tiffy said...

Marry me!

Stori Lundi said...

And this is why I love Spongebob.

Vince Deporter said...

And I have been copying your mistake for over 12 years. How can you defend yourself? My career is now in shambles and nobody will ever want to work with me again! Snif. I gave my LIFE to you! Snif! Snort! (lip trembling...)
:D

Rob Rashotte said...

Kenny and Vi;
After examining the effort and due diligence put into the standardization of Sponge Bob Square Pant’s house, the Canadian Standards Association feels that it would be prudent on our part to adopt this as the new standard for ALL underwater dwellings (both salt water and fresh water) built primarily of pineapple based building materials. We would be happy to send you a sticker that you can affix to the dwelling showing that it now complies with the newly adopted standard.
Thanks for this great contribution to standardization in the construction trades.

Rob Rashotte
Director of Learning Services
Canadian Standards Association

Anonymous said...

Awesome.

Teresa in Fort Worth, TX said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

I'm not the only nerd in the world....

I've loved SpongeBob ever since my kids started watching it years ago - this just makes me love it even more.....

Animation Ruler said...

I can't believe what Vi Hart said actually got to you. I just thought she was being ridiculous. But I guess this stuff matters to certain people so I won't judge.

Kenny P. said...

Her video was tongue-in-cheek, as was my response. And, saying "I guess this stuff matters to certain people so I won't judge" shows just how much you are, in fact, passing judgment.
As an aside, I found it pretty hilarious how bent out of shape so many people in the "animation world" got over Vi's video.

Kathy said...

Oh the places a Fibonacci number can take you to!

Anonymous said...

Vi and KennY for president. End of discussion

San Antonio Water Softener said...

This video is great about SpongeBob's house. Very entertaining and thank you for posting this one.

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful, and funny, and awesome, and nice.

sockmonkey17 said...

This is so Nerdy! I love it! Thank you for making your math correct.

Unknown said...

i was lead here by vi hart youtube.

Anonymous said...

I love this stuff. Rock on fellas!

Anonymous said...

the link does not work anymore. I love sending people here, so please correct!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBxeju8dMho

Unknown said...

According to USA TODAY, SpongeBob is the most-loved series on TV, web traffic and social media. In addition, SpongeBob has now starred in two major motion pictures.

- www.allpremiumanimation.com/

skreidle said...

FYI, Vi's video moved -- it can now be found at https://vimeo.com/147799857 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBxeju8dMho

Unknown said...

Thank you! I love Spongebob, but the "pineapple" just kinda tore me down. Thanks for fixing it Kenny! You are 110% epicene