Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Nature Abhors a Vacuum...


 ...And, it's no different on the freeway. If you are one of the lucky millions who drive on the freeways of any largish city in order to get to and from work, then you already know that you can learn a lot about human psychology during this time. Here is one of many fun experiments that you can try!

In this experiment, you will be car A. All that you have to do in order to cause car B to change lanes is leave enough space in front of you for him to do so. It doesn't even matter whether your lane is moving any faster than his. In fact, it often works when your lane is moving slower. The driver of car B will feel drawn to this relatively small space as if it were the inescapable gravitational pull of a black hole. 

This may only be a Los Angeles phenomenon. I haven't tested it anywhere else.

5 comments:

Matt Huff said...

Oh, it's true in Tacoma, Washington, too. I have to consciously tell myself not to fall into this trap, but at least I'm aware of it, right? Knowledge is half the battle.

becky said...

Nope, it's not just a Los Angeles phenomenon. Bay area, too.

Lubov said...

Um, excuse me, Mr. Pittenger, but what's the name of the song in your "SpongeGod" short and who composed it? Also, who composed the dance music in "SpongeBob's Legendary Dance Party" and horn music in the beginning of "SpongeGod"? I just liked these tunes and became interested in them.

Kenny P. said...

Hi Lubov, I'll have to find out who composed the music for those. I wrote the awesome lyrics in the "SpongeGod" short, though.

Kim said...

This happens in MA, too. In the rare cases that I'm not up someone's rear bumper, people do pull in front of me- but from both sides, not just the right...