Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lord of the Flies



Here are a couple photos I took today of a few of the unwanted visitors we had this morning.  Horribly, they were in our kitchen--more than 60 of them-- and they seemed to have come from a tiny gap between the molding at the top of one of our cupboards and the ceiling.  Many of them had fallen to the counter below, as the majority of them were oddly flightless.  It took awhile to catch them all and take them outside--they just kept coming! 
 
Anyway, here's where it gets a little more strange:  I haven't had many reasons to climb up into the attic in the 9 years we've lived in this house, but I've been up there twice in the last few days.  The most recent time was today to see if I could find the source of the sudden infestation (because from the top of that cupboard, where the flies appeared to be coming from, it turns out that there is a little gap where the exhaust tube for the stove fan exits into the attic and beyond), but I found nothing.   The other time was Monday afternoon.  

The reason I went up there on Monday was because Nina and Cooper had heard "someone walking around on the roof," and when I went outside to see what was going on and found nothing, I thought that the sound might have emanated from the attic.  If it had, I couldn't find the source.  When I descended, covered in dust, Nina said that my clambering around up there sounded exactly the same as the noise they had heard previously.  That's a little creepy, right?

And, also, while I was battling flies this morning, Nina was battling the television in the bedroom because it kept turning on and off by itself!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stayed home today, because I'm sick.  I caught the cold that Cooper and Dean have (and that sent them both to the doctor with breathing problems-- I can hardly wait for my turn to have my torso turn into a bag of phlegm!)  Anyway, here is one of the several trains I drew for Cooper today.  I'm too lazy to color it, but I bet it would look groooovy if I were to try.  Oh well.  Sorry.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like Amittyville Horror-time at your pad, pretty creepy. I have this "shifting" odor at my place, sometimes at the top of the stairs, sometimes at the bottom, and sometimes not at all. I haven't figured out what the hell it is. Maybe my ghosts and yours should get together and get their own place.

becky said...

Cool - very yellow submarine-ish, that train is. Great photos of flies! And, oh so very creepy. Maybe you guys should get an exorcist. Or a shaman. Or you could get those Ghost Hunter TV guys to come and play around with their geiger counters, and the like.

Anonymous said...

Has Mara returned, with a vengeance?
BWS

Andy said...

Lord of the flies is a translation (one of several possible) of Beelzebub/Beelzebul, an alternate name for the Devil. Coupling that with the strange noises in your attic might suggest some sort of sinister presence...

Though I personally think if the Devil were to try to take over a home, he would probably do it more along the lines of the great John Ritter film "Stay Tuned".

That's a pretty cool train, too.

Professor Batty said...

Usually a sudden infestation of flies means that there is a corpse somewhere on the premises - just a little thought to set your mind at ease...