Monday, March 12, 2007

Please Come Home


Taffy, one of our two pet cockatiels--the first one we got--escaped lastnight. It was awful. I've never felt so helpless as I did when I heard him calling out as he ascended higher and higher into the darkness. He must have been so scared. He has no experience flying outside, let alone in the middle of the night.

We did what we could to look for him. Nina took Cooper in the car and drove around the area, and I took my bike and rode for miles, but it was useless. Who knows how far he could have gotten and whether or not he could even figure out how to land being as disoriented as he must have been.

We're checking with all the animal shelters in the area, and Nina's driving around as I write this. Fuck. I don't know what to do.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss! I had a friend whose cockatiel flew off a few years back. He left a window open, and after a couple of days it flew back inside. Nature can be surprising. Good luck! I hope Taffy returnes soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I'll pray for little Taffy to find his way back home!

Ryan Khatam said...

oh man dude, that is horrible

im really sorry

Vincent Waller said...

Take heart, my brother's bird got out a few times, and made it back on his own. Leave a way for him to get back in. I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Kenny P. said...

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the concern and hopeful stories!